Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I am asking for your help in understanding the total lack of concern over the effects of the garbage strike.

I see some of the posts on the facebook petition I started regarding the garbage strike. I have seen I am not the only one who has noticed the massive amount of apathy being shown with respect to this disastrous situation. At least I think this is a disaster.

I am at a complete loss for words or any explanation as to why this is taking place. Why don’t the people of Toronto feel that this is important enough to take a stand? Why should this be like every other time something happens and we just sit by the sidelines and watch and wait and do absolutely nothing?

These are questions for which I have no answers and I am asking anyone out there who is reading this to please give me their thoughts, views or even guesses? Some ideas as to why we just sit by and take it.

Our city – at the height of tourist season and during the few months of the year we get to enjoy the outdoors, is surrounded by garbage, there is a horrible stench in the air and the pests and vermin are becoming a problem. People are not going out as much as they should be and people are not visiting the city as much as they normally do. We are already in an economic downturn. There are a lot of people who cannot afford to lose any more business. Why does no one care about any of this?

If they are not going to care about the economic effect of this strike and those who will be hit by this crisis, then why are we not concerned by the stench and health hazard all this rotting garbage is causing.?

Are we, as Canadians and Torontonians truly that apathetic? What does it take to get people to care? What needs to happen for people to even take two minutes to put their names on a petition? I am looking to you to help me understand because I am truly at a loss.

We have no leadership in the city! If we did, we would not be in this situation to begin with. Why are taxpayers paying for services they are not receiving? Why don’t the taxpayers care about that? What about the people who have been lining up for hours at dump sites? Why are they not up in arms?

Why is this not an essential service?

I look forward to your feedback,

wendywashere

2 comments:

  1. I do believe Torontonians,not all..but a large majority are apathetic.I think it's the old thing again.."If it doesn't effect me directly"scenario.

    The thing folks don't understand is it will effect everyone in TO. sooner or later.

    I think this strike will eventually go into binding arbitration.Then look out TO.The citizens will be the losers in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when all is said and done.Property taxes will be hit and hit hard!!!

    ReplyDelete